Nutritional Info (per person)
Serves: 16 person
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Good to know:
- Gluten free
- Dairy Free
- 200g of coconut oil
- 200g of coconut sugar
- grated zest and juice of 2 oranges and 1 lemon
- 380g of ground almonds
- 5 eggs beaten
- pinch of salt
- 90g of coconut oil
- 150g good quality dark chocolate (70% and over)
- 1/2 tablespoon of honey/date syrup/ maple syrup
- Pre heat oven to 180°C. Grease a 24cm spring-form tin.
- Place the coconut oil, 150g of sugar and both zests in a mixer bowl and use a beater attachment to combine everything well on a slow speed – don’t overwork. Add half the ground almonds and continue mixing until folded through. Add the eggs gradually, as the machine is running, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl a couple of times. Add the remaining ground almonds and pinch of salt and work them until the mix is completely smooth. Spread the cake batter in the tin and level it out with a palette knife.
- Place the cake in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. Check it’s ready with a skewer, it should come our a little moist.
- When the cake is almost cooked, place the remaining coconut sugar and the juice of oranges and lemon (approx 120ml of juice) in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. When boiled remove from heat. As soon as cake comes out of the oven brush it with the boiling syrup, making sure all the syrup is soaked through. Leave the cake in the tin to cool completely before removing.
- To make the chocolate icing, place coconut oil and chocolate in a heat proof bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water, make sure bowl does not touch the water. Once melted, add honey/maple e syrup/date syrup. Pour over the cake and let cool before enjoying!