Isn’t hair just about the biggest nuisance when it comes to exercising?
It gets in the way of your workout and often becomes a major stumbling block to factoring a quick workout into your busy day because you need to find the extra time just to perfect your coif after the hard work is done!
Most people want to wash their hair after every workout, which becomes a problem if you are working out on a daily basis. Such regular washing of your hair strips it of its natural oils and can make your hair dry-out and age prematurely.
We don’t have the golden bullet – everyone has different hair care considerations – but here are some ideas and tips to consider so that hair maintenance doesn’t get in the way of your exercise regime:
- Keep a can of dry shampoo in your gym bag. It’ll soak up the unwanted sweat and oils whilst absorbing all impurities. Spray it on and brush it out.
- Tie your hair back… although not too tight!! Opt for clips or snag free elastic so they don’t break your hair when tied too tight. Check out sweaty Betty’s spiral hair toggle – £4 for a 5 pack.
- Consider wearing a hairband to keep your fringe or short layers out of your face when exercising. Get over fear of looking like an 80’s gym bunny and take a look at Lululemon and Under Armour for a great variety of stylish head bands to keep your flyaways from… well, uhm…flying away!
- Switch up your hair style. Don’t tie your hair up in the same place on your head every day as you’ll end up with breakages in the same spot – mix up your ponytail with fishtail plaits or French plaits!
- Protect yourself. Some people forget how much they’re exposed to the sun when working outdoors. If you are a runner or play an outdoor sport make sure you use UV protectors on your hair.
- Go a bit shorter! If you’re really dedicated to your exercising then really consider your haircut. It’s a great idea to keep hair at shoulder length not only is it a flattering length but it’s long enough to be able to tie it in a ponytail and easy enough to wash and blow dry in record time! Win-win!