If you’re up to date with our podcasts and Instagram lives, you won’t have missed the one with our friends from the social sort where we discuss all things motherhood and business.
Here you can find it on Instagram, spotify or apple podcast.
We know not all of you are mums and business owners, but lots of the tips we discuss will apply to you, regardless of what your roles in life are.
We’ll start with a little disclaimer here: we might look like we have it all figured out, but we promise we don’t. We discuss just a few of our most memorable “slummy-mummy” moments during that live and if you want a giggle go back and have a listen. Some of you will be quite shocked, others will giggle and will relate to us!
We are only human and there’s only so much we can do, so forgive us for not being perfect!
But here’s what we do to make sure our work and life balance don’t collapse:
- BOUNDARIES: and this goes not only for your job, but your family life too. Setting clear boundaries will help you make sure the different spheres of your life don’t mix and blend into one. If you hope to give your best to your career, family and home you can’t let them mix into one another. This will create a huge fog that will make it impossible to achieve anything.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: you need to be accountable to someone if you want to make sure you don’t cross your boundaries. If you find yourself bending the rules often, make sure someone else knows what they are so they can bring you back into your lane when needed.
- GET HELP: don’t be too proud. If help is available to you, take it! You don’t have to do it all and you won’t get special prizes if you do. They say it takes a village to raise a family, but really it takes a village to keep your whole world together! And if you don’t have family and friends nearby to help you, try your best to become part of a community.
- GIVE HELP: we are not saying that you need to bank favours… but we kind of are! What goes around comes around.
- MAKE YOUR LIFE EASY: let’s look at making meals. We have big families, work long hours and always have endless tasks on hand. We wouldn’t survive the “I’m hungry” screams that come from upstairs every 30 seconds without a few tricks up our sleeves. Pressure cookers to make soups in no time, frozen veg for a quick side and cooking big batches of food when possible are just a few.
- HAVE REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS: you’ll never make everyone happy, so stop trying to! The sooner you realise this, the better for you and everyone around you. Your kids won’t care if you skipped pancakes one morning, or even if you gave them store-bought ones! And your clients won’t suddenly leave you if can’t give them what they ask for once. We’ve tried it, and the world doesn’t open under your feet when you think you’re letting someone down.
As we said, we haven’t got it all under control all the time. There are times when we lose our cool and times when we push through even when we desperately need a holiday.
But we have these few tips to help us through most of the time.
We’d love to hear your advice and know what works for you, make sure to comment on our social media, like our podcast and subscribe!